Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Location of Mount Sinai Attributes of the proposed mountains Reply To: Attributes of the proposed mountains

• Walter Mattfeld

October 18, 2021 at 6:03 pm

As regards the notion that Mt. Sinai needs to have physical remains of an archaeological nature for proper identification, I concur. However, Har Karkom has no archaeological remains of the commonly accepted Exodus dates: (1) The 1530 BC Hyksos Expulsion being recast as Israel’s Exodus, (2) The 1446 BC Exodus of 1 Kings 6:1, and (3) The 13th century BC Ramesside Exodus based on the existence of Pi-Rameses in that era.

I know of only ONE site that has archaeological remains for ALL of the aforesaid the Exodus dates, and that is the Egyptian mining camp at Jabal Serabit el Khadim. The remains consist of a series of cartouches of Pharaohs who sponsored mining expeditions to mine copper and turquoise.

Jabal Musa has archaeological remains of the Neolithic period on its plain of Er-Raha, beneath the slopes of Ras Safsafeh, near St. Catherine’s monastery. Is it possible that this is Mt. Sinai. Perhaps? How so? No one knew the age of any ancient site before Sir Flinders Petrie developed Pottery Typologies to date sites by. So, it is entirely possible that ancient Israelites of the Iron Age I-II periods could have MISTAKENLY identified the Neolithic camp as being Moses’! It is also possible that Har Karkom could qualify as Mt. Sinai, for the same reason, the Early Bronze Age artifacts being MISTAKENLY identified as being left by Moses and Israel.