Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Location of Mount Sinai Attributes of the proposed mountains Reply To: Attributes of the proposed mountains

• Walter Mattfeld

October 18, 2021 at 5:34 pm

As the Wilderness of Shur was encountered AFTER crossing the Red Sea or Hebrew Yam Suph, “Sea of Reeds,” then this body of water should be in the vicinity of the western terminus of the Darb el Shur. Pre 1860 maps reveal several bodies of water, all possessing reeds, all are shallow. (1) Lake Et-Timsah, to the south of the Darb el Shur and east of Bir Abu Suwayr (Shur in Hebrew is rendered shuwr); (2) Birket Karash, north of Et-Timsah, (3) Birket Ballah, (4) Bahr Menzalleh. Ballah gets its water from the Nile, Nile floods cause Menzalleh to overflow and send Nile water and reed seedlings to be deposited not only in Menzalleh, but also Ballah and Karash. Et-Timsah gets its reed seedling vis NIle Floods via Wadi Et-Tumilat. I sought a site subject to an east wind blowing all night the waters away, exposing dry land. I found the site at Lake Menzalleh, where in 1882 a powerful east wind, blowing all night, blew away the east half of Lake Menzalleh exposing its bottom. Boats anchored at POrt Said the previous day in 6 feet of water were now on the Lakes bottom with natives walking about them in amazement. Such a removal of water is called wind-setdown. It works only on shallow, large bodies of waters, pushing the water to one side of the lake or estuary. In recent times Hurricane Irma (2019) blew away the water in Tampa Bay (Tampa, Florida) and camera drones show the citizens walking on the exposed bay’s bottom (the bay’s average depth is not more than 10 feet). I next asked: Where do Egyptian chariots on a regular basis cross this encircling body of water (Birkets Timsah, Karash, Ballah and Menzalleh). The Egyptologist Manfred Bietak has a map showing the Way of Horus crossing a land bridge today called el Qantara, here, Egyptian chariots regularly crossed this ford on their way to get slaves in Canaan and Syria. Other maps of the 1840s show this land bridge to be at times submerged when high Nile flooding occurred. So, for me the Qantara isthmus is Israel’s crossing point of the Reed Sea. After crossing at Qantara Israel heads south into the wilderness of Shur/Etham and three days later is at Marah, for me the Bitter Lakes. These lakes are called in Arabic Murrat meaning “bitter.” The Aramaic Peshitta Bible renders Marah as Morath, which seems to resemble the Arabic Murrat for me. After Marah/Morath/Murrat Israe;l camps at Elim, the 12 artesian springs at Ayun Musa and its palm trees. Then the next camps is By Yam Suph again, for me the Gulf of Suez. So, I recognize THREE YAM SUPHS: (1) Menzalleh/Ballah, (2) The GUlf of Suez, and (3) The Gulf of Aqabah and its Solomonic seaport of Ezion-Geber.