Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Location of Mount Sinai Timeframe, distances and campsites between the sea and the mountain Reply To: Timeframe, distances and campsites between the sea and the mountain

• Deborah Hurn

August 26, 2021 at 5:39 pm

Hi Trish, sorry I missed this, I took a break from HFS to finish my dissertation (nearly done). I must have turned off all notifications also. The chronology of the exodus journey is a bit misleading in the English (and possibly also in the Hebrew). The Israelites arrived in the Wilderness of Sinai on the 1st day of the third month (ביום הזה “in that day”, i.e. the start of the month), not the 15th. So the total journey is about 6 weeks from the 15th day of the first month. If you read up in this thread you will find the full discussion. The 50 days from leaving Egypt to receiving the Law is the “Pentecost” interval, matched also between Jesus’ crucifixion and the coming of the Holy Spirit. So the nation was at the mountain for about a week before Moses received the commandments, bringing the total to 7 weeks.