Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums The Mission of HFS What is a Biblical Worldview? Reply To: What is a Biblical Worldview?

• Keisuke Matsumoto

July 30, 2021 at 8:53 pm

We’ve learned in Dr. Rickett’s class and its textbook “The Universe Next Door” that a worldview is a network of presuppositions, which are so deep and fundamental, that we are not aware of or haven’t thought about .

Also it is a commitment, which means we are committed to something without thinking twice before doing so.

Therefore, paying special attention to an unconscious part of our heart is very important in changing our worldview(s). One of the examples of this unconscious part, I believe, is “ungrieved losses”.

By default, human hearts don’t have a language to lament, and we normally don’t give our hearts permission to grieve. We express everything in the language of anger, and it is an important part of our spiritual growth to replace these areas with the right languages.

As we all know, the book of Psalms gives us the full spectrum of the expressions our need.

But, what was obvious for readers of the original version(s) of the Bible (from which our modern translations are translated) like special formatting in poem is somewhat lost to us. What clicked their attention or what helped memorize Psalms might not be available for most of us.

As a nonnative speaker of English, I have experienced the importance of “memorizing the basic sentences” since I was a kid. I’ve seen my peers spending equal amount of time studying English but not being able to speak, simply because they didn’t recognize the importance of memorizing basic sentences. They focused only on learning words.

And no need to say the importance of the historicity of the historical events recorded in Psalms.

For these 2 reasons our generation(including me) is suffering from “Psalm illiteracy”, and we go to other resources like instagram or twitter posts(although they are useful when used properly) seeking the languages that best help them express the cries of their hearts.

I believe that is a stronghold we have to take back and establish our outpost there. Dynamic equivalence probably is one of the solutions. To be able to do this we need to be familiar with the culture of the past and present, and keep updated in both.

It has been my great joy and undeserved privilege to be a part of HFS to look for the solutions together.