Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums The Mission of HFS What the Scholars Say Reply To: What the Scholars Say

• Deborah Hurn

June 20, 2021 at 8:58 am

Let’s start with William (Bill) G. Dever: this is one of my favorites, especially when heard with his special deliberation and emphasis:

“Let me put it this way: I would think in the 50 years since I finished my PhD… we know at least 10 times what was known when I was a student about Ancient Israel. Meanwhile, I cannot think of any breakthrough in biblical studies that helps us to understand the text any better than we could 50 years ago. You see, biblical scholars have the notion “If we could only be more ingenious―if we could find a new theory, something truly novel―we could wring the secrets out of the biblical text.” Sorry, there aren’t any. We already understand the biblical text very well indeed after all of these centuries.”

Archaeological Research Unit – University of Cyprus. Prof. William G. Dever: Beyond the Texts: An Archaeological Portrait of Ancient Israel. Cyprus University, 2018. From 16:20-17:05 min. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtoLWWRjs90