Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums The Mission of HFS What is a Biblical Worldview? Reply To: What is a Biblical Worldview?

• Thomas Donlon

June 3, 2021 at 10:17 pm

Ron, you squeezed at least three issues into your comment. Remarks about the other people might best be avoided in keeping with the HFS code of conduct. “Pretentious.”

The “worldview” issue that you addressed, I had the same thoughts you did regarding the imprecision of the question. I wasn’t sure that expressing those thoughts would ultimately be helpful. In a sense, the whole question gets blurred into questions of Biblical influence in society. Tim Mahoney just needed (or utilized) a short-hand nomenclature that people often use to describe the influence of the Bible in society. I am certainly quite able to think about a huge number of ways that people past and present have followed or not followed scripture.

There was a war in the US to end slavery (though it was framed as saving the Union). Thomas Jefferson had wanted to end slavery right at the start of the Country. Thomas Jefferson also foresaw a different evil. He realized there would be a temptation to borrow money. He wanted to constitutionally limit borrowing to what could be paid back by the same generation. In a sense, immense borrowing makes slaves. The borrower is servant (or slave) to the lender. The next generation(s) are being made slaves when immense borrowing takes place that the next generation will be required to pay interest on. “The wicked borrows and does not repay.”

I’m not trying to make a political statement, I’m just pointing out that on-going sinful nature keeps doing bad things across generations.

One of the best things about the Bible (from a purely secular, or social or utilitarian perspective) is that it condenses a lot of important information into one book. Wars, disasters, comet impacts, floods, diseases, arrogant Kings, repentant people, social, moral laws guidelines for conduct (respect), courage, humility, love for others and for God all in one book.

So there is a sense in which Christians who care about culture want to see Biblical influence.

Also Tim asked what are you doing to … . And so some people shared that too. We can respect how people let God use them.

Your third point intrigued me to. I don’t know if you have BibleWorks 10 (That now off-the-market academic Bible Software program.) I have it and it has lot’s of versions. What is the name of the Peshitta that you use? The Lewis?

If you want to privately message me about what verses you feel the Peshitta better translates Jesus words… I’d be happy to become more familiar with your views. I can’t think of areas that I’m in disagreement with Jesus’ words in normal translations. Some thoughts though that Jesus expressed using terminology of his day for example, used “hate.”

Like this one, we can understand. “For there is no servant who can serve two masters: who will not hate the one, and love the other; or he will bear with the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.” (Lk. 16:13 LEW) I’m using a Peshitta translation.

In context we understand that no Christian really sees money and screams in anger at it. We might be unimpressed or not in awe of it, but we get along quite well with it. So we understand Jesus saying about money, but those that want to create controversy will not allow the same range of meanings when Jesus uses the word “hate” in regards to other people in contrast to following him.

From time to time people expect us or wish us to do something evil for them.

I probably would not even post this message, but some of Tim’s films in the near future might be shown at a Harvard location and some of the topics I discussed here might slightly interest some of them. For that reason, I won’t delete or cancel my comment, though I too am wandering off-topic a bit. But that is the thing about the Bible. It has applications in so many areas of life..