Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence for Biblical miracles Naturalistic vs. spectacular supernatural Reply To: Naturalistic vs. spectacular supernatural

• Thomas Donlon

May 30, 2021 at 5:19 pm

Hi Deborah, there is a fairly wide area of the Western Shore of the Dead Sea within range of the walking angels. Another thing popped into my mind will also help nail down the location.

As morning dawned, the angels urged Lot, saying, "Up! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, lest you be swept away in the punishment of the city." (Gen. 19:15 ESV)
    =================================
     23 The sun had risen on the earth when Lot came to Zoar.
     24 Then the LORD rained on Sodom and Gomorrah sulfur and fire from the LORD out of heaven.
     25 And he overthrew those cities, and all the valley, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and what grew on the ground.
     26 But Lot's wife, behind him, looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.
     27 And Abraham went early in the morning to the place where he had stood before the LORD.
     28 And he looked down toward Sodom and Gomorrah and toward all the land of the valley, and he looked and, behold, the smoke of the land went up like the smoke of a furnace.
     29 So it was that, when God destroyed the cities of the valley, God remembered Abraham and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow when he overthrew the cities in which Lot had lived.
     (Gen. 19:23-29 ESV)

Abraham got up early and went to a good overlook place and then saw the destruction. Lot left Sodom and it didn’t take him too long to get to Zoar. And a key thing that we shouldn’t forget is Lot’s wife. I think the pillars of Salt are located at the bottom of the Dead Sea on the Western or Israeli side. (I’ve never been to the dead sea but the Israeli oriented tourist websites say the salt pillars can be be found in that area.) Not sure how literally someone wants to take Lot’s wife transformation, but I think we can at least assume the location she was lost should correlate with where salt statues are located. So the evidence is building up for a location near the Southern end of the Dead Sea, most likely on the Israeli side.

One last detail. Though the angels and the Lord (three individuals) visited Abraham during the heat of the day, Abraham didn’t dawdle but acted very quickly in making a meal for them.

Perhaps this is the ancients version of FAST FOOD.

Genesis 18:1 And the LORD appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the door of his tent in the heat of the day.
    2 He lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, three men were standing in front of him. When he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them and bowed himself to the earth
    3 and said, “O Lord, if I have found favor in your sight, do not pass by your servant.
    4 Let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree,
    5 while I bring a morsel of bread, that you may refresh yourselves, and after that you may pass on– since you have come to your servant.” So they said, “Do as you have said.”
    6 And Abraham went quickly into the tent to Sarah and said, “Quick! Three seahs of fine flour! Knead it, and make cakes.”
    7 And Abraham ran to the herd and took a calf, tender and good, and gave it to a young man, who prepared it quickly.
    8 Then he took curds and milk and the calf that he had prepared, and set it before them. And he stood by them under the tree while they ate. (Gen. 18:1-8 ESV)

This could actually be also a nice life lesson on diligence. Abraham was not a sluggard. He was quite diligent. Running at age 99 to be speedily hospitable to the Lord. How quickly do we serve God? (Just an overall life-lesson that jumped out at me while I was writing all this.) Not directed at anyone… I might need that advice as much as anyone.