Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence for Biblical miracles Naturalistic vs. spectacular supernatural Reply To: Naturalistic vs. spectacular supernatural

• Deborah Hurn

May 28, 2021 at 6:31 am

Thomas, here is that point by “Unknown” on the BiblePlaces blog comments thread:

https://blog.bibleplaces.com/2012/01/biblical-problems-with-locating-sodom.html

As Todd has noted previously, there are archaeological and chronological problems with identifying Tall el-Hammam with Sodom. Here are some scriptural/textual considerations. A main reason that a northern location is sought for Sodom is the belief that Gen. 13:10-12 places Sodom in the region of the “Plain (kikkar) of the Jordan” that is, north of the Dead Sea (Gen 13:10). However, I don’t think Gen. 13:10-12 restricts Sodom to the Kikkar of the Jordan. Yes, Lot chose the Kikkar of the Jordan and travelled east from the Hill Country. However, Genesis 13:11-12 implies passage of time during which Lot moved around. That Lot “pitched his tent as far as Sodom” suggests a geographical separation from the “Kikkar of the Jordan.” Also, the word kikkar does not exclusively refer only to the area of the Rift Valley just north of the Dead Sea. “Kikkar of the Jordan” can refer to the area as far north as Sukkoth (1 Kings 7:46). The word kikkar may be used to refer to other parts of the Rift Valley in general, especially when not accompanied by the appellation “of the Jordan” (Gen. 19:17, 28; 2 Sam. 18:23). In other words, Sodom could be in the kikkar, without being in the Kikkar of the Jordan.

You may also find this earlier article by Todd interesting, along with the comments thread, re Collin’s qualification to make such claims.

https://www.bibleplaces.com/blog/2011/12/excavator-finds-evidence-of-destruction/

Thomas, the view that the numbers of the OT have been corrupted can be verified by variant numbers between books (i.e. Kings and Chronicles giving differing figures for the same events) and between the MT, the LXX, and the SP etc. Such an observation does not mean that we can claim corruption for anything and everything else. In fact, I cannot think of a single geographical detail that needs to be changed.

Also, about your comment:

I know you are postulating some radical geographical morphology, but I’ll need to get my mind around all that and I can barely remember what you wrote about that. That sounds wild to me. Much wilder than an meteoric airburst.

What’s wild is a 95 km long lake with the saltiest mineral-saturated water on earth at the lowest elevation on earth (400 m. bsl) with asphalt seeping up from the deep. That’s some radical geographical morphology. Like the Suez Isthmus just across the way in a branch of the same major faultline, the Arabah is a custom-built fantasy scape for some fiery special effects. Why bring a meteor into it? “I got this”, says the fault-line, “back off!”