Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence for Biblical miracles Naturalistic vs. spectacular supernatural Reply To: Naturalistic vs. spectacular supernatural

• Thomas Donlon

May 28, 2021 at 5:33 am

Deborah,

Regarding the location of Sodom and the area of destruction note these verses.

And Lot lifted up his eyes and saw that the Jordan Valley was well watered everywhere like the garden of the LORD, like the land of Egypt, in the direction of Zoar. (This was before the LORD ddestroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.) So Lot chose for himself all the Jordan Valley, and Lot journeyed east. Thus they separated from each other. Abram settled in the land of Canaan, while Lot settled among the cities of the valley and moved his tent as far as Sodom.
    (Gen. 13:10-12 ESV)

I am tentatively agreeing that Sodom is south of Jerusalem, and not holding to the view that Ezekiel lost track of the location. But even if people believe that the location became forgotten you’ve argued certain scriptures got corrupted or changed by scribes etc. So I wouldn’t hold that too much against Collins.

But the Bible is clear that the Jordon River valley was well water everywhere and the area Lot could see with his eyes was the Jordon River Valley. I know you are postulating some radical geographical morphology, but I’ll need to get my mind around all that and I can barely remember what you wrote about that. That sounds wild to me. Much wilder than an meteoric airburst.

But I have a background (informed by scripture) to believe God uses and will use impact and airburst events whenever he wants.

My background is informed by science such as this.

A YouTube video of a mainstream TV show that shared the hypothesis about what knocked off the large megafauna of North America. (Some 35 species of large animals that roamed North America disappeared along with the Clovis Culture of hunters at the Younger Dryas Boundary, marked in the Geological column in many places with a “black mat.”)

The Younger Dryas Impact Hypothesis – Kennett, West, Mayewski, Kurbatov

The evidence for this destruction event has grown immensely. Podcaster Joe Rogan hosted a debate between people with different views on this topic. The skeptics who opposed the theory on the Joe Rogan podcast have now embraced the theory as new evidence has come forth. Impact events aren’t as rare as you think.