Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence for Biblical miracles Naturalistic vs. spectacular supernatural Reply To: Naturalistic vs. spectacular supernatural

• Thomas Donlon

May 23, 2021 at 2:26 am

Hey Deborah,

Though you don’t have much time to spare… you are still sharing a lot of information. 🙂

I made some effort looking into the Sodom being south of Jerusalem as suggested by the scripture in Ezekiel.

Though I’m not abandoning the thought that Tell el-Hammam was destroyed as some of the scientists believe from an air burst… I turned my attention to what area might be south of Jerusalem yet still have been destroyed by that blast. After a while I turned to Google Earth activating the Terrain feature.

Up the cliffs of the East Side of the Dead Sea is a surprisingly flat area that isn’t inhabited much now at all. The East West co-ordinates I didn’t bother looking up because it is obvious, — just up the cliff from the Dead Sea. Here are the North co-ordinates between which is the flat land that is very interesting to me. N 31° 39′ and N 31° 40′ 12″. Every other area on the top of the cliff has contoured and rough terrain. Makes me ask when did this area become smooth? It doesn’t look settled in modern times. And looking at the cliff from the side, I wonder if a thick layer of blast ejecta from the Dead Sea was splayed on top and sort of leveled out the area like frosting on a cake. It appears that way from the side view looking at the Google Earth Terrain.

Three brainstorming conjectures or conclusions could suggest that Sodom and or Gomorrah might be there (or have been there).

1. The area could have been made flat initially by humans flattening the terrain out.
    2. The comet meteor explosion could have been very close to that area and just leveled off the top.
    3. Ejecta could have rained down like hot mud and just covered the area making it smoother than anything else in the area.

<div>And maybe all three contributed to it being as flat as it is.
    </div><div>

Another advantage to this being Sodom’s location rather than Tall el-Hammam might be that Sodom and Gomorrah were easily sacked by the four attacking Kings. Tall el-Hammam had a nice defensive wall.

</div><div>

But this being closer to the meteor detonation point may have just blasted away whatever wall might have been there.

Tall el-Hammam may be one of the other cities of the plain overthrown. Steven Collins deserves credit for looking for the city using Bible criteria and finding it.

In any case the coordinates along the Jordon side of the Dead Sea look very interesting. There seems to be potential water sources that can run through the area. And if as the scientists say, the Jordon Valley got splashed with a lot of Salt Water from the Dead Sea, this would have been even more the case right along the dead sea. I’m just bringing this up because maybe the area was fertile good land. Compare the other areas around the Dead Sea and note how rough the mountainous terrain is all around the Dead Sea except at those co-ordinates. (I’m not saying I studied everything exceptionally carefully, but I did look around and found the miles (or kilometers) of flat surface at those co-ordinates unusual for their extreme smoothness relative to the rocky locations all around.

Maybe you can tell me if some Romans or crusaders used to live up there and leveled out the area. Your historical knowledge might be valuable in either kicking my hypothesis up a notch into a good theory or shooting it down because there is a different natural explanation for the terrain.

I look forward to your feedback Deborah and also the feedback of anyone else who wants to reply.

</div>