Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence in Egypt for the Exodus Late date (Ramesses) vs. various early dates Reply To: Late date (Ramesses) vs. various early dates

• Thomas Donlon

May 18, 2021 at 11:31 pm
    This is what the LORD says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. (Jer. 29:10 NIV)

Very interesting Ron. I appreciate you sharing this. The expansionist phase of Babylon (the “empire”) being referred to rather than the length of Jerusalem’s destruction. Seventy years between the destruction of the temple and the start of the building of the new one would have greatly limited the number of people who had seen the former temple. Ezra 3:12. Not many of those who would have went into captivity (being old enough to remember it) would have been engaging in the long march back to Jerusalem and then been around for the reconstruction of the temple. Scripture says

But many of the older priests and Levites and family heads, who had seen the former temple, wept aloud when they saw the foundation of this temple being laid, while many others shouted for joy. (Ezr. 3:12 NIV)

So, it makes sense what you are saying.