Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence in Egypt for the Exodus Late date (Ramesses) vs. various early dates Reply To: Late date (Ramesses) vs. various early dates

• Thomas Donlon

May 18, 2021 at 11:17 am

Your thinking is ingenious Ron. Yet, perhaps the seven year cycle for land rests was to start when Israel entered the promise land?

The LORD said to Moses at Mount Sinai,
    2 "Speak to the Israelites and say to them: 'When you enter the land I am going to give you, the land itself must observe a sabbath to the LORD.
    3 For six years sow your fields, and for six years prune your vineyards and gather their crops.
    4 But in the seventh year the land is to have a year of sabbath rest, a sabbath to the LORD. Do not sow your fields or prune your vineyards. (Lev. 25:1-4 NIV)

And also, regarding Jerusalem Daniel believed it would be desolate 70 years. This could have been a misunderstanding on Daniel’s part, he wrote, “I understood…” or perhaps this is a separate 70 year event and the desolation of Jerusalem didn’t end till years after Cyrus gave the order that Jews could return to Jerusalem. Like maybe when the wall was rebuilt or the city of Jerusalem somehow got up and running at an earlier time.

in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, understood from the Scriptures, according to the word of the LORD given to Jeremiah the prophet, that the desolation of Jerusalem would last seventy years. (Dan. 9:2 NIV)