Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence in Egypt for the Exodus Late date (Ramesses) vs. various early dates Reply To: Late date (Ramesses) vs. various early dates

• Ron Bublitz

May 17, 2021 at 9:08 pm

Yes, there is historical evidence – in the Bible.

He took into exile in Babylon those who had escaped from the sword, and they became servants to him and to his sons until the establishment of the kingdom of Persia, to fulfill the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enjoyed its Sabbaths. All the days that it lay desolate it kept Sabbath, to fulfill seventy years.” [emphasis added]

Unchecked Copy Box 2Ch 36:20-21

So Israel did keep the Sabbath cycle. But they also failed to keep the Sabbath cycle. They were removed to exile in part so that the Land could catch up to the missed years. Notice it does NOT say that 70 years was the time of the exile or the number of missed Sabbath years. The key is “by the mouth of Jeremiah”. What did Jeremiah prophecy?

For thus says the LORD: When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will visit you, and I will fulfill to you my promise and bring you back to this place.

Jeremiah 29:10

The 70 years was connected to the judgement of Babylon not Israel. Israel’s judgement was contained within that time period. But the exile was NOT 70 years as is usually assumed. Babylon Empire began in 609 BC and was ended by the Persians in 539 BC – 70 years.