Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt Origins of the Hebrews: New Evidence for Israelites in Egypt from Jos to the Exo Reply To: Origins of the Hebrews: New Evidence for Israelites in Egypt from Jos to the Exo

• Douglas Petrovich

May 11, 2021 at 12:24 pm

You are welcome, Tess, and thank you for your warm congratulations. Yes, it is not the average book that takes this long to come to fruition, but this one’s claims require an overabundance of care before going to publication prematurely. There is one chance to get it right with such a major thesis as the one behind this book.

I cannot speak for other authors, but it depends on what font you choose for a given language. My favorite Greek and Hebrew fonts are from BibleWorks, which was pushed out of the market in recent years. They are about the prettiest in form, for my money’s worth, and they are easy to use. All you need to do is switch the font on Word’s quick access tool bar, and you’re now typing Greek or Hebrew, left to right. However, BibleWorks fonts are not unicode, so they prohibit being viewable with an e-version of your book.

For this reason, I use SBL Greek and SBL Hebrew (right to left), which ARE unicode. The downside is that their fonts are fairly ugly. Since most Christian publishers prefer the SBL fonts, that’s mainly the font that scholars use for these languages. To use an SBL font, there are two steps. First is switching to the font on Word’s quick access tool bar. Second is changing the language of the keyboard to Greek or Hebrew, which usually is done at the lower right of Windows, in the task bar. Of course, before you can complete this step, you have to install these languages into your operating system, which is quite easy. When you are finished writing your Greek or Hebrew text, you then have to switch back to (for most Americans) the US English keyboard, in addition to switching the font on the quick access bar.

As for Egyptian language, I try to avoid using hieroglyphics in books or journal articles, because this can be problematic for typesetters. Instead, I use the Transliteration font (whose file name is GLYPH_I.TTF). Of course, you have to know how to convert from a hieroglyph to a transliteration symbol, which you learn when you study the language formally. As for Aramaic, everything you need is available with your Hebrew font.

Hoping this helps,

DP