Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt Origins of the Hebrews: New Evidence for Israelites in Egypt from Jos to the Exo Reply To: Origins of the Hebrews: New Evidence for Israelites in Egypt from Jos to the Exo

• Douglas Petrovich

May 10, 2021 at 10:49 pm

Here is a quick update on my new book, Origins of the Hebrews. Due to the impact that COVID had on Carta, since most of their sales come via tourists/visitors in Israel, they told me in January that they do not have the capital to publish any new books at present. This was a big blow to absorb, as my experience with their publication of The World’s Oldest Alphabet was a wonderful one. It was such a pleasure to work with them, and they protected me when the sharks were circling and taking bites at me. So, they released me from our contract and told me I am free to find a new publisher.

The process was a challenging one, but I finally settled on a publisher a week or two ago. The months from January to May also allowed me time to complete several more editorial passes, and to interact with new sources. Other challenges also arose. The exciting news is that I submitted the manuscript to the new publisher yesterday (5/9), and it now stands at 157,000 words, 39 images, and 5 appendices. I began the research in 2012, and the writing either in 2012 or 2013.

I have no idea how long it will take the typesetter to complete the preparation, but I know it will be a challenge with the multiple ancient and modern languages in the text and the bibliography. This includes accent marks, diacritical marks, transliteration, and the use of 3 ‘ancient’ fonts. I do not envy his task. When he finishes, I will have to go through the proofs carefully, which will take about 5 days if I spend all of my time on it and only go through it once.

Anyway, I do not know what is a realistic estimate of when it will go to–and come out from the–printer, but my hope is by the end of summer. My publisher believes that this is a realistic timeframe. This book should be cheaper than my first book, the price for which I played no role in setting. My hope is that OOTH will list at under $40, but it will have a color section and a hardback, so it will not be cheap to print. I expect to start a crowdfunding campaign soon to cover the majority of the printing (etc.) costs, because the publisher does not have deep pockets, and I certainly do not, either.

So, that is where the book is. I will try to post again when I have a target date for publication, but the first place to look for the book is on the mainpage of my academia.edu webpage. It will be tremendous to see it in print after 9 years of work (including stepping away at times for writing TWOA, completing my dissertation, and devoting 7 days/week at my professorial post for the first 3 years or so at my current position).