Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt Origins of the Hebrews: New Evidence for Israelites in Egypt from Jos to the Exo Reply To: Origins of the Hebrews: New Evidence for Israelites in Egypt from Jos to the Exo

• Thomas Donlon

April 24, 2021 at 12:00 pm

For people that have a hard time following what Doug Petrovich and I were discussing.

“The various extremely closely related and mutually intelligible Canaanite languages, a branch of the Northwest Semetic languages included Amorite, first attested in the 21st century BC, Edomite, Hebrew, Ammonite, Moabite, Phoenician (Punic/Carthaginian), Samaritan Hebrew, Ekronite, Amalekite and Sutean.” Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_languages

It may have been that Doug was stressing that the overall “family tree” is called “Semitic languages” while Orly Goldwasser was looking at the tighter cluster which wikipedia called “extremely closely related and mutually intelligible Canaanite languages.”

So I was focusing on the tighter cluster (and the fact there was a tight cluster) while Doug’s focus is on the distinctiveness of Hebrew and wanted to inform me that the entire cluster of languages is referred to as “Semitic.”

We were both right. And we all get “participation rewards.” And as we do this in love, with pure hearts and a good attitude “Speaking the truth in love” we build up the body of Christ.

And I’m fascinated to watch the other discussion going on with people respectfully working on Bible Chronological issues without demeaning each other.

We literally have as many different viewpoints on various aspects of Biblical chronology as we have participants on the HSF Discussion Forums.

This podcast by Jared, is mostly geared toward people who are too aggressive in tending to want to force ideas down others’ throats. He includes his experiences and how he has switched gears from trying to convince everyone of the rightness of his opinion(s) to where he now sees the value of discussing in order to make connections with people, and also to try to learn. And he learned to deal with his own frustrations when he couldn’t persuade people to the correctness of his views.

Though I’m not too “rude” that often, I have totally missed some of the value that he has discovered that can come from having conversations with people.

This isn’t a podcast episode suitable for most people, but for those of us who tend to debate too quickly it may be helpful. I didn’t necessarily like listening to it, but it had addressed some things I needed to learn, in order to be less combative at different times when it isn’t wise to be combative.

https://peteenns.com/how-to-talk-to-people-you-disagree-with/

Again “speaking the truth in love” is a key that Paul stressed and urged us to grow towards.

And also what Jared said about checking your heart in different conversations or before engaging in discussion, is a vital teaching. Not only are we all to be judged on every idle word, but the intents and motives of our heart are laid bare before God.