Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Deborah Hurn

April 24, 2021 at 9:57 am

OK, well by my understanding, Abram was called in Ur when Abram was 55 yrs old. He and his whole extended family got as far as Haran and stayed there for 20 yrs. Abram continued on to Canaan and was there for 10 yrs before he had the formal covenant of Gen 15 at age 85. By that stage, the 430 yrs were now only 400 yrs.

Ah, OK, I see now what your objection is: that he didn’t enter Canaan (or Egypt) until 20 yrs after leaving Ur? And so the count should start from there?

Ken: I do not see how Terah’s call in Ur Kasdim or Haran can be imagined to be “in Misrayim” in any sense. Do you have an argument for that?

OK, well, I would count the LXX/SP/Rabbinic 430 yrs “in Chanaan and in Egypt” from the day he left Ur. Not from the day he entered Canaan. Or Egypt. Not as precise as I would like. But the Bible doesn’t make a fuss about those travelling days and Abram probably didn’t remember them. But he/they would have remembered the date of the calling in Ur to go to Canaan, the promise of the seed and of greatness. If it was “the very day” of the exodus it would have been the first full moon after the Spring equinox, the festival of the moon-god Sin in Mesopotamia. Good time for a contrary vision, I guess.

Jos 24:2 NRSV  And Joshua said to all the people, "Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel: Long ago your ancestors—Terah and his sons Abraham and Nahor—lived beyond the Euphrates and served other gods.