Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Ken Griffith

April 24, 2021 at 9:37 am

Thus, the 430 years is the total time of the Age of Promise, from Abram’s first calling in Ur to the exodus and giving of the Law (these events only 7 weeks apart). The 400 yrs starts 30 years later, with the formal covenant with Abraham at age 85 (Gen 15:13) after he had been in the land of Canaan for 10 yrs (430-400=30=20+10). Both periods terminate at once with the giving of the Law which commenced the Age of Law.

I probably did not word it clearly enough, causing you to miss my point here, Deborah.

Exodus 12:40-42 gives the end of the sojourn in the “Land of Misrayim” as occurring on “the very same day.” The very same day as what? The only choices I can see are, Abram entering Canaan (under Philistine rule), Abram entering Egypt, or Jacob entering Egypt.

The Galatians 3 passage gives different endpoints, also 430 years apart, those being the Promise, and the giving of the Law.

You argue for counting the promise from the call of Terah, 20 years before Abram crossed the Euphrates, and you count the 400 years of affliction from Abram’s entering Canaan. I understand that.

The problem with your reasoning is that Exodus 12:40-42 requires a 430 year sojourn “in Misrayim.” I do not see how Terah’s call in Ur Kasdim or Haran can be imagined to be “in Misrayim” in any sense. Do you have an argument for that?