Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt Origins of the Hebrews: New Evidence for Israelites in Egypt from Jos to the Exo Reply To: Origins of the Hebrews: New Evidence for Israelites in Egypt from Jos to the Exo

• Douglas Petrovich

April 20, 2021 at 12:12 pm

I’m not sure there is any empirical value in knowing what percentage of distinctively Hebrew words are found within the in the corpus of PCH inscriptions that are not found in any other Semitic language. [Note: To my knowledge, no epigrapher or linguist compares this with “the language of Canaan,” though. Instead, the comparison/contrast is with languages of the same linguistic family tree (i.e. other Semitic languages).]

Until I am persuaded as to the actual value of knowing percentages, I have no interest either in knowing about the numbers or in doing the math, myself. What’s the purpose? The amount of distinctively Hebrew words in the (admittedly small) corpus of translatable inscriptions is indeed small. I discuss all of this in one of my critiques of Rollston’s responses to my work, which is available for free on my academia.edu webpage. If you want to do number-crunching, you are welcome to consult that response and my TWOA book. Happy crunching.