Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Deborah Hurn

April 18, 2021 at 7:17 pm

I agree the armies of the early ANE were very small. Not sure about 20 men ?! but low hundreds is likely. So Abraham with his 300 men-at-arms was a force to be reckoned with and Abimelech had to mind his Ps and Qs.

This is part of the reason why I propose a total population at exodus of only 6000, the most likely “6-something” from the census figures of Num 1 and 26. The city tells of Jericho and Ai were only a few hectacres (I can find and cite the measurements and have done so before but I am not making a big point here). The estimated population of these tells *under attack or siege*, i.e. when everyone from the agricultural hamlets and pastures comes within the walls for temporary protection, is only about 1000-1500 people. Hazor somewhat more at 2000. Seriously, if the Israelite army was 600k men-at-arms, they wouldn’t even stop to conquer the cities, just move right into the land. There comes a point where the ‘inerrantists’ need to be a bit more pragmatic.