Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Ken Griffith

April 18, 2021 at 9:44 am

Unless I’ve typed it incorrectly, you seem to have mistaken my position, Deborah.

My position is that the 430 years of promise began with the covenant God made with Abraham at age 75 right before he crossed the Euphrates in Genesis 12, and that the 430 years of sojourn began within the same year, on Nissan 15, when Abraham went into Lower Egypt because of the famine.

In Ussher’s model the 400 years of affliction began with Isaac’s weaning at age 5 which was the same year as the covenant with Abimelech.

Regarding the nature of the covenant of Abimelech, there are two elements that indicate it was either make this covenant or we will fight you.

1. Abraham brought the sacrificial animals.

2. “but that according to the kindness that I have done to you, you will do to me and to the land in which you have dwelt”

Abimelech is the king of this land, and he is requiring Abraham as an alien to be in covenant with him in order to live there.

To read more about the nature of covenants in this period please see Meredith Kline’s resources on this subject:

https://meredithkline.com/klines-works/books/