Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Thomas Donlon

April 17, 2021 at 6:02 pm

Sorry Ken, for getting a bit picky.

The reason the translators of the Septuagint put “Egypt and Canaan” in
    the place of the Hebrew “Misraim” is because they understood correctly
    that Abraham’s sojourn under Misraim began when the Philistines stopped
    up his wells, and Abimelech forced him into a vassal covenant. 1,600+
    years later in third century BC Greek geography the “Misraim” of
    Abraham’s time was correctly described as “Canaan and Egypt.”

Genesis 26: 15, 18 Show that Abimelech or rather his servants stopped up the wells after the death of Abraham. Also remember, that God appeared to Abimelech and threatened him repeatedly in a dream. He and all his servants were greatly afraid. Abraham gave the animals to Abimelech as a witness or agreement that certain wells dug by Abraham were indeed Abraham’s. Yet Abraham at one point in a famine went to Egypt and perhaps that could have marked out a particular time, if you are looking for a time marker. I didn’t get all into specific date calculations.

I think I would have been rattled if I was Abimelek. To have God appear to me in a dream and threaten to kill me and everyone that belongs to me and to need the prayers of this prophet in order for me and my family to be healed, that is something that sticks with you, if not traumatically. Also he didn’t exactly trust Abraham since Abraham had (sort of) lied to him about Sarai his wife, nearly costing him and his whole family their lives. At least for me, I’m not seeing ‘vassal covenant” that you are talking about.

At that time Abimelek and Phicol the commander of his forces said to Abraham, "God is with you in everything you do.
    23 Now swear to me here before God that you will not deal falsely with me or my children or my descendants. Show to me and the country where you now reside as a foreigner the same kindness I have shown to you."
    (Gen. 21:22-23 NIV)

Scary though how powerful God is and how we as humans tend to fall so easily. Even the greatest kings of Judah almost regularly became filled with pride and sometimes were able to repent of their pride and sometimes they did not. Even righteous Josiah couldn’t keep from meddling in a war that God didn’t want him to get involved in and he died for it.