Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums The route of the Exodus through the Red Sea Affect of Sea Level on Red Sea Crossing Site Reply To: Affect of Sea Level on Red Sea Crossing Site

• Thomas Donlon

April 17, 2021 at 5:34 pm

Ken Griffith, I believe that you are the one-out-of-a-thousand type person that asks deep questions. The Historical Faith Society has attracted a lot of these type people. Tim calls his film production something like “Thinking Man films” and basic participants are Thinkers. Some of Tim’s emails are thinker updates.

If the Young Earth Creationist position is the correct one … questions like the ones you are asking will or could collect various evidential pieces together and bring respect to the Bible and to those who hold that view. Ken Ham has sometimes said evidence can be used to support both viewpoints on the age of the earth, but, that our preconceptions dictate how we view the evidence.

I just want you to know that there is some evidence in scripture for an old earth. The scriptural evidence isn’t as strong (directly anyways) for an old earth as for a young earth, but there is some.

I’m only writing this so that IF you were forced to conclude the earth was old, I just wouldn’t want you to lose your faith over it. Certain questions though that you are asking will lead to yet more questions. If the sea level was lower during the ice age when North America and Europe had a two-mile thick ice sheet, and then after the ice age these sheets melted and dumped their water back in the ocean, the sea level would rise as you described, there might be evidence of where the shoreline in Egypt was during these times. We know there are some underwater structures off Egypt and in many other parts of the world, that indicate the world ocean level was once lower. Reconciling these dates of shorelines might be your next task as you are venturing into whether science will end up proving the Ken Ham viewpoint, or an old earth viewpoint or as Ken Ham seems to now believe, it can support both positions.

My goal is not promote one view over the other but to let each person gain knowledge and share it. Your viewpoints on the sea level of the Exodus time is well-conceived. And in defense of a young earth viewpoint (though I don’t hold it) perhaps as the ice sheets melted there was some other mechanism that whisked away a portion of water into space or deep oceanic trenches or some sort of thing. So if you find little evidence of sea level change, a scientific method of redistributing ocean water could be postulated and still allow you to hold a YEC viewpoint in regards to that evidence.

Additionally, I think I remember some geologist in one of Tim’s films saying the ocean boundary up against Egypt, somehow changed over time. The exact change he was talking about, I can’t remember though.

I’ll definitely support your studying. If your position is right, I’ll learn.

Ken, your comments on this thread are in keeping with the topic of the Exodus. If other people want to debate or share information about various evidences of an old or young earth they can personally connect with me. Or if the interest is great enough maybe at some point people can start a separate Group for such a discussion.

I’m hoping and should be praying, that all conversations should 1) speak the truth in love 2) not try to be provocative 3) that anyone who shares information will also realize that there are multiple sides of an issue and be able to listen as well 4)(Very Important) that we recognize each other’s intellectual positions, emotional attachments and that Jesus taught that the Holy Spirit reveals truth in His time. Jesus said “I have much to say to you, but you cannot bear it now.” We all have times when we are most open to learn and other times we are stressed and tired. (I’m not writing this to you Ken … but for people less experienced in communication.)

I’ve also postulated that seismic activity along rift valley could have opened up (rifted spread apart the gulf of Aqaba or even Red Sea and sucked down a lot of water. Remember this scripture.

As soon as he finished saying all this, the ground under them split apart
    32 and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them and their households, and all those associated with Korah, together with their possessions.
    33 They went down alive into the realm of the dead, with everything they owned; the earth closed over them, and they perished and were gone from the community. (Num. 16:31-33 NIV)

If this happened with the Yam Suph, then perhaps water from elsewhere eventually rushed back and overwhelmed Pharaoh’s armies.