Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Deborah Hurn

April 17, 2021 at 11:03 am

Ken, can only do a partial reply now. I gather you have read from the top of the thread, so saw my case for taking the 430 yrs back to Ur. I could not post an image into this thread, but here is the link to the chart for how I add up those 430 yrs, showing also where the 400 yrs fall. https://historicalfaithsociety.com/members/deborah-brian-hurn/photos/ Yes, it brings the Egyptian Sojourn to 195 yrs, 20 fewer than the usual 215 yrs calculation, and makes Abram to be 55 yrs old at the time of his first calling. But this idea very neatly and painlessly takes care of the discrepancy between the 430 yrs and the 400 yrs. Both are right.

Regarding the time-frame for the journey from Egypt to Sinai:

The exodus narrative indicates that Israel left Rameses in Goshen on the 15th day of the first month (Ex 12:18, 31, 51) and arrived in the Wilderness of Sinai on the 1st day of the third month (“that very day” is not the 15th but the ‘same day’ the month started, 19:1). This is about 6 weeks. The time between Passover and the giving of the Law at Sinai is generally accepted to be 7 weeks or 50 days. This is not really negotiable for a number of reasons I could find for you if you want. One reason is that we see this pattern echoed between Jesus’ crucifixion at Passover and the coming of the Spirit on Pentecost (meaning ’50th’), although that is a Christian reference. There are a few events recorded between Israel’s arrival at Sinai and the giving of the Law, so the 6 weeks becomes 7 weeks in all from leaving Rameses in Goshen to the day of the giving of the Law.