Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt Origins of the Hebrews: New Evidence for Israelites in Egypt from Jos to the Exo Reply To: Origins of the Hebrews: New Evidence for Israelites in Egypt from Jos to the Exo

• Thomas Donlon

April 17, 2021 at 6:43 am

we have Hebrew inscriptions in Egypt and Sinai dating to as early as
    1840 BC and dating down to the reign of Amenhotep II (middle of the 15th
    century BC), which include DISTINCTIVELY HEBREW words

I’m just curious Douglas. What is the percentage of words that are “DISTINCTIVELY HEBREW” as opposed to words common in what is called “The language of Canaan” (Isaiah 19:18).

As you note “Christopher Rollston” doesn’t see much difference between the scripts (but then again he doesn’t see evidence for the Israelites being there at that time) and Professor Orly Goldw… called Hebrew “a dialect of Canaanite” and as I just referenced, Isaiah prophesied that five cities in Egypt would be speaking the language of Canaan. The “major issues” you had with what I wrote, revolves around how big a difference of languages from early Canaanite to the later prophesied Canaanite language?

How many Canaanite words are there compared to the ones that you find to be clearly Hebrew? I think I’m on the same page as you on this. But I use the phrase ” a few unique words the family used” while you say “include DISTINCTIVELY HEBREW words.” Can you spell out the numbers? Both our phrases convey the idea of a limited portion of words that are different. But this can be accurately and scientifically quantified, if you know the totals and have the energy and ability to do the math. I believe languages evolve. You seem to be arguing that God gave a complete language to Eber that his descendants carried forward. If you discount names that might be distinctively Hebrew from both the total of available words and from those thought to be distinctively Hebrew what percentage of words differ? Are they high usage words? Core words or more specialized? Do the differing words reflect Egyptian influence or do they seem to be ancient, like from the time of Eber? Or do you find both?

You started this conversation with me Douglas.