Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Ken Griffith

April 16, 2021 at 11:08 pm

I easily could complain about the choice made by God as the divine co-author (assuming you have a high view of biblical inerrancy to agree), and I could say, “Well, God, this chronological peg you’ve offered stands on very thin ice.”

The difference is that I was questioning your reliance on the secular chronology of the 12th dynasty to tell me how to properly interpret scripture about the length of the sojourn. Therefore if you were to make the complaint above, it would not be equivalent at all.

Finally, the Ezbet Rushdi Stele, the earliest record of Israelites in Egypt, demonstrates that Joseph, Jacob, and Jacob’s household are living at Avaris (biblical Raamses) in 1873 BC, which is fully datable using the high chronology view of Egyptian history, given that the stele dates itself to Year 5 of Sesostris III

Unlike your argument here, I generally avoid arguing from Egyptian or Assyrian chronology to Biblical chronology, because my presupposition is that the Scripture is divinely inspired and inerrant in the original autographs. I believe that correct exegesis is the key to Biblical chronology. There are only seven or eight passages in scripture that require interpretation to build a chronology from Cyrus back to Adam. Whereas the chronology of the 12th Dynasty of Egypt is based on so much scholarly speculation that even the conventional scholars have three different chronologies for the period in question, noting that you referenced the “high chronology.”

Your exegetical approach to the question was strong. Leaning on the chronology of the 12th dynasty of Egypt is weak.

Going back to your exegetical approach – your 2019 paper neglected to address the fact that Abimelech was from Misraim, and Abraham was forced into a covenant with Abimelech in the year that Isaac was weaned. The evidence that it was not completely voluntary and that Abraham was the vassal is that Abraham was the one who supplied the sacrificial animals to Abimelech. (Genesis 21)

Unlike others here, I’m not offended, and I don’t mind if you are rude to me. I choose to defend my arguments using logic and rhetoric rather than credentials. If my arguments are invalid I welcome your critique.