Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Deborah Hurn

April 16, 2021 at 9:35 pm

Wow, Doug. Extremely arrogant? Snail oil? Squirt? Can we have some moderation in language here, please?

Your approach to scripture that privileges one text or datum above all others is methodologically flawed. What is to stop someone from choosing an apparently contrary text and making that the ‘peg’ of their argument? You call God to your side, to your opinion. I don’t know any ‘real’ academics who do that.

If you are going to flick off all challenges to a single number in scripture (whether the 400/430 years for the sojourn or the 480 years for the period from Exodus to ~Monarchy), an appeal to ‘God on my side’ won’t save your argument if there are significant contradictions in chronology.

What about the large numbers of the Hebrew Bible regarding the population of the exodus? There are three totals in Exodus 12:37 and Numbers 1 and 26 which are all about 600k, yet other considerations from both text and history indicate that the travel and sustenance of his amount of people and their livestock is logistically impossible. I can’t recall what your position is on this matter, but are you consistent? What about the known discrepancies between numbers in Kings and Chronicles? You can’t take your stand on both.