Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Douglas Petrovich

April 16, 2021 at 8:13 pm

One more question. Given the fact that there is only one passage in the Bible that offers a specific timeframe going back from the exodus to Jacob’s entry into Egypt, I easily could complain about the choice made by God as the divine co-author (assuming you have a high view of biblical inerrancy to agree), and I could say, “Well, God, this chronological peg you’ve offered stands on very thin ice.”

Personally, I would call such a move extremely arrogant. If God wants to found an extremely important datum on merely ONE passage in the entire Bible (and Galatians 3 simply does not count, so please do not even think of going there), then that’s his jolly prerogative. So the question for you is this: assuming for the sake of argument that “a few Sothic dating points” are all that holds together an accurate Egyptian chronology for Egyptian dynasties 12 AND 18, then how is it not equally arrogant to claim this is dubious, unreliable, or on thin ice?

And yes, I can see right through the snail oil you are attempting to squirt on me.