Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Ken Griffith

April 14, 2021 at 9:23 am

I would be happy to share the manuscript of my book, Chronological Framework of Ancient History with you for your review if you are interested. It has seven chapters that work out the chronology of Egypt. It confirms the same major dates as Ussher: 975 for death of Solomon, 1491 Exodus, 1921 entry of Abram into Egypt, 2348 Flood. Please send me a PM.

The paper on Hatshepsut linked below shows that her expedition to Punt occurred in the same year as Solomon’s visit from the Queen of Sheba. It is a single chapter in my book, after the Egyptian chronology was already worked out. It is offered as an overview of our entire chronology of Egypt, as well as a proof that our Egyptian chronology confirms the Ussher-Jones chronology of the Bible.
    https://www.academia.edu/42631862/Hatshepsut_and_the_Queen_of_Sheba_A_Chronological_Proof

The section of our book on the period of the Judges makes the case that this period from 1491 to 1063 was the Hyksos/Amalekite domination in Egypt and partially the allied Guti/Arab domination in Akkad/Babylonia. (The Guti domination lasted only about half as long, however.) We have three witnesses that confirm the length of the Hyksos domination was 427 years from the Exodus to the defeat of Khamudi in the 18th year of Ahmose I, and it was 511 and 518 to two final defeats of the Hyksos in Palestine. We date those last two Hyksos defeats as the campaigns of Thutmose III against Megiddo in his 23rd and 30th years.

The first campaign against Megiddo was done under alliance to Solomon about five years before his death, and allowed Solomon to build the walls of Megiddo, which, along with Gezer, was one of the two holdouts of the Canaanites and Amalekites which were never conquered until Solomon’s time. Solomon used Egyptian muscle to conquer both cities.

The year 30 campaign of Thutmose III after Solomon’s death took Megiddo back, and exterminated the last Amalekites in the mountains of Ephraim, installing Jeroboam as his vassal over northern Israel. His campaign in year 31 took the treasure from Jerusalem/Kadesh, and placed Rehoboam under tribute as a vassal.

The Egyptian data confirms the short chronology of Judges to the year. And it does this at multiple points: Saul’s defeat of Apophis, Thutmose I’s campaign to Syria with David against Hadadezer, Hatshepsut’s expedition to Punt matching Solomon’s reception of the Queen of Sheba, Thutmose III’s campaigns to break up Israel into four kingdoms, and Amenhotep’s Ethiopian vizier, Zerah in the failed campaign of his 9th year.

Of course, this is basically Velikovsky’s framework, which Rohl disagrees with. In chronology circles it seems like everybody has a book. Ours attempts to be comprehensive, but the more you study the more you realize how much you don’t know. I have the greatest respect for David Rohl and Douglass Petrovich. I believe that on many points they are correct, but on some important points they’ve gone into the weeds. And the same could probably be said of me.

David Rohl does not believe the Genesis Flood was global. I think this failure to have a bookend for Post-flood history leads his Egyptian chronology to some erroneous conclusions.

Our approach to the chronology of the ancient world was to study the chroniclers for evidence of duration to the Flood and the Tower of Babel. We found a sufficient number of these to pinpoint Babel as being founded in 2233 BC and the Dispersion in 2191 BC. Misraim/Menes became king over the Egyptians in 2191 BC, but did not found his first city until 2188 BC. There are multiple proofs of these dates. Once you have the edges of the jigsaw puzzle then it becomes much easier to put solve the placement of Manetho’s dynasties inside these dates. The paper that I’ve linked to for the Queen of Sheba has some nice charts which make it easier to understand what I’m talking about.