Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Conquest of Canaan Late date (Ramesses) vs. various early dates Reply To: Late date (Ramesses) vs. various early dates

• Ken Griffith

April 13, 2021 at 8:28 pm

Considering that this is the mummy of Rameses, I’d say you are right, Thomas.

II: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ramses2_(2).jpg

Courville and Stewart both argued for a 12th Dynasty Exodus.

Ginzberg says the tradition of the Jews is that it was Merenre II of Dynasty 6.

My own view is that each of the five main cities in Egypt had their own king, who was more like a mayor. At various times different dynasties were the high king over the others.

Dynasties 3-6 ruled in Thebes in parallel to Dynasties 10-12 ruling in Thebes, and Dynasty 13 were the viziers starting with Joseph, who became vizier in the third year of Sesostris I.

Sesostris III was the pharoah who made the decree to kill the infants. Amenemhat III stopped killing the babies, but continued the oppression, along with his contemporary Pepi II.

Moses was Amenemhat IV who disappeared after 10 years of co-reigning with Amenemhat III. His adopted mother ruled for a few years after his disappearance, and then Dynasty 12 died out. Pepi II was the Pharaoh that sought Moses’ life, and God called Moses back as soon as he died. His son Merenre II was the main Pharaoh of the Exodus, who drowned. But Ka-ankh-ra Sobekhotep was the Dynasty 13 ruler who also died that year, maybe in the night of the firstborn.

The Amu/Hyksos invaded right after the Israelites left Egypt. In this view the first and second intermediate periods were the same four century rule of the Hyksos.