Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Ken Griffith

April 13, 2021 at 7:06 pm

Floyd Nolan Jones corrected two mistakes by Ussher. But the two mistakes cancelled each other out.

“That would be pretty hard to state with confidence unless you knew which year the intercalation cycle started”

I don’t need to know the year that the intercalation cycle started, because Exodus 12:40-41 tells me the sojourn lasted 430 years and they left on the same day of the lunar year, Nisan 15, that their forefather had entered “the land of Misraim.” Galatians 3 tells me the forefather who preceded the law by 430 years was Abraham. The Philistines were children of Misraim too, and they controlled Canaan when Abraham arrived there. He also appears to have entered Egypt the same year that he crossed the Euphrates into Canaan. So the “same day” could refer to either his crossing the Euphrates, or his passage into lower Egypt. But either way, the date referred to was Nisan 15.

Abraham went down to Egypt because of famine, helped the Egyptians, was persecuted by the taking of his wife, God sent plagues on the king, and Abraham was sent out with many gifts. His descendants repeated that pattern. But Abraham’s time in Canaan was also under the rule of Misraim’s sons. The four centuries of persecution began in the year of Isaac’s weaning at age 5. Not only did Ishmael mock Isaac, but the Philistines stopped up Abraham’s wells, and he was forced to make a covenant under Abimelech the Philistine.

The land of Misraim was bigger than what we today call “Egypt”. It included the Levant and Libya. That is why the Septuagint translated Exodus 12:41 as the land of “Egypt and Canaan”. Misraim’s land included both Egypt and Canaan from the time of Abraham down to the Exodus.