Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence for Biblical miracles In this society, how is something recognized as a miracle? Reply To: In this society, how is something recognized as a miracle?

• Thomas Donlon

April 7, 2021 at 10:43 pm

Hi Michele,

You wrote,

If I or anyone here thought that they witnessed a miracle and considered
    sharing the experience here, what would the evidence need to be for a
    general consensus….What would be considered a
    miracle in HFS?

Hi Michele,

This is truly a new society where people who have interests in the historical underpinnings of scripture have joined for our own individual reasons. Some of us joined to have access to information that might build our faith. Some of us joined to share our faith. We have no common background or common religious heritage. Some are firmly Young Earth Creationists and some believe in “deep time” and an ancient creation. And within those camps view vary.

Some have a much higher regard for the Ten Commandments here and enjoy more specifics of the religious heritage given to the Jews and ancient Israel, and some people think the Old Testament teachings was somehow subsumed or fulfilled by Jesus and the new/old Commandments are to love one another and love God with all… of everything.

For me, the challenge in accepting whether something that happened to someone is a “miracle” is difficult because I’m not necessarily inclined to believe every person that comes along and tells a story about something that happened to him or her. I don’t need to know. If God chooses to perform a miracle for someone, He might have had a purpose. It could conceivably be 1) to help that particular person, 2) For that person to tell someone else and encourage that other person.

To me it doesn’t really matter. God does all kinds of miracles, sustains the universe, keeps us alive, gives us insight, helps us sometimes to serve Him or others.

In some circles, it is well known that “wolves in sheep clothing” try to portray or fake miracles so that they can get money from people.

I personally don’t bother with the question.

At one time the apostles/disciples of Jesus were all excited that they were able to cast out evil spirits and all that. Jesus told them not to rejoice over that but rather that their names were written in heaven.

Another time the people came to Jesus asking him for a sign and Jesus said “a wicked and adulteress generations seeketh after sign and none will be given it accept the sign of the prophet Jonah.” And yet even Jesus appearance was to a select few, maybe five hundred or a bit more. The rest of the people just wrestled with the fact a tomb that was guarded by soldiers was empty and the soldiers claimed to have fell asleep, yet fingered the disciples as stealing the body.

You might enjoy reading 1st Samuel chapters 4 through 6. The Philistines were trying to figure out what whether what was happening to them was divine intervention or not.

Over all, though your question is huge. Some good discussion from some HFS members took place on a different forum titled “Naturalistic vs Spectacularly Supernatural.”

Seeing God intervene is exciting, but sometimes it might be more subjective, personal and other times what God does can not really be differentiated from chance. 2 Chronicles 18: with the key verse I’m pointing out being verse 33.

People on this forum have different ideas of how and when God made everything and all life. “Random” is a hard question. In the case of the death of Ahab, an arrow penetrated a small gap between his armor. Ahab went to the battle in disguise. Statistically he probably should have been safe. Something happened though that defied probability. Yet scripture is clear that God somehow had this all arranged.

If you read the book of Esther, you will not find God mentioned. Yet it is hard to read it without seeing God’s hand in saving the Jews from extermination. What rules though can you apply to say whether any specific thing that happened in the book was a miracle. You will probably also enjoy reading the Book of Esther.

Tell me what you think after looking at those scriptures, if you have any additional thoughts or questions.

In Christ,

Tom