Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence for Biblical miracles The ten plagues Reply To: The ten plagues

• Thomas Donlon

March 7, 2021 at 6:17 pm

Deborah, thanks for your review on Peter Enns material. My unease with some of his explanations is very similar to yours. A fairly close friend of mine got into his podcasts lately and recommended them. Though I’m not hoping to adopt views that Peter is espousing, he does sometimes have a sense of the larger meaning of scripture … and it probably won’t hurt me to be exposed to ideas that might be prevalent among main stream academics. Having said that I’ve lost the habit of listening to his material. Do you have any other good academic sources that you might suggest to some academic amateur like myself? And I’m using the phrase “academic” in a generous sense, because I’ve got HUGE gaps in academic aptitude and Multiple HUGE gaps in knowledge of all sorts of ancient Biblical areas of knowledge.

On another note: and I’m not asking you to engage Petrovich on this, but rather reply to me… I have some vague recollection that there might be some alternate explanation for the term “Hebrew” in addition to the common one that Petrovich put forth about being a descendant of Eber or something. David Rohl has pointed out that the Israelites didn’t refer to themselves as “Hebrews” rather it was an epithet used by people such as the Philistines. (Doug Petrovich, if reading this, ought not to respond or I might make fun of him for repeating himself.) I’m just looking for verification from a different source and am wondering if my foggy recollection of an alternate explanation of the word “Hebrew” might be accurate or just be the result of misinformation I heard or maybe unfortunately random neurons got activated by some unknown event like a gamma ray hit on some synapse in my brain.

As an aside, I may let some of Petrovich’s comments slide in order to focus on a more strategic goal of focusing discussion on the reliability of the standard Egyptian chronology. How might I introduce the topic to Petrovich in a way that he might see other alignments with the Bible and Egyptian chronology? He mentioned being hurt by David Rohl. But this isn’t unique is it? Scripture says, “A person’s wisdom yields patience; it is to one’s glory to overlook an offense.” (Prov. 19:11 NIV) If an unbeliever insults us because of belief in God shouldn’t it rather be a source of joy? “If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.” (1 Pet. 4:14 NIV) And didn’t Jesus suggest we should jump for joy? (Matthew 5:12, Luke 6:23)

Doug may in due time adjust some of his adjectives in regard to how he describes himself. You did your part in giving advice. And like when you give advice to me, I think it is usually or always right.

In World War II US general Douglas MacArthur wisely avoided trying to take every enemy held Island. He engaged in what was called an “Island hopping strategy.” When Petrovich writes he sometimes says things that …. well you know … I don’t have to lay them out. But I’d like to overlook his linguistic foibles and see what common objectives are in play for the Kingdom of God and how to be best help readers to the HFS site.

My wisdom and insight into all the objectives that are best is sketchy and incomplete. I’m just asking you Deborah to help keep a clear focus and you see some things I don’t understand…