Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt Origins of the Hebrews: New Evidence for Israelites in Egypt from Jos to the Exo Reply To: Origins of the Hebrews: New Evidence for Israelites in Egypt from Jos to the Exo

• Douglas Petrovich

March 6, 2021 at 10:31 pm

There are very few matters in which my views are close to David Rohl’s, but we are within several decades of one another in reference to the synchronization between the biblical accounts of Joseph’s activities in Egypt and Egyptian chronology. He places Joseph’s administrative activities revolving around the 7-year famine during the reign of Amenemhat III, while I am certain that they instead date to Sesostris III’s reign (actually beginning with year 1 of the famine, as Sesostris II was ruling before this). However, Rohl uses the 2IP (2nd Intermediate Period) as a convenient tool to erase several hundred years of Egyptian history. Therefore, he wrongly connects the exodus pharaoh with Dedumose II, who is assigned variously to Dynasty 13 or 16, although all agree that the period is the 2IP. But no, David Rohl would not “tweak his thoughts and timeframe on the arrival of Joseph” to align with the conclusions drawn from my research. Not a chance. And BTW, on a related matter, note that he publicly ridiculed me because I hold to an inerrant view of the biblical autographa. In other words, the precise details of biblical chronology are not a non-negotiable for him. Moreover, sound methodology for biblical hermeneutics or (lower) textual criticism are not foundational elements to his approach to synchronization between Israel’s and Egypt’s timelines.