Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence for Biblical miracles The ten plagues Reply To: The ten plagues

• Deborah Hurn

March 5, 2021 at 11:18 pm

Thomas, I found the audio and transcripts for the Pete Enns series Pete Ruins Exodus, skimmed the first one, and realised that he was into (as he says) the “thirty-thousand-foot view”. This is broad-brush story-telling and not historical apologetics. But as he also explains early in the episode (and no doubt many times elsewhere), he doubts the biblical records are historical. He says he takes a ‘theological’ approach, but I can’t see much theology either. I would say maybe ‘popular’, using lots of colloquial paraphrasing… it’s partly thematic and allegorical. A fun read I guess. Not a resource for facing off against biblical sceptics and critics. This would be why Richard Elliott Friedman and others like him recommend Enns’ book ‘Exodus for Normal People”. All on the same page, pretty much. The foundational problem to biblical history is the standard chronology. To lift Richard Dawkins book title “god Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything” (note how he gives capitals to every word except ‘God’), I would counter, “The Bible is Accurate: The Standard Chronology Poisons Everything”.