Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence for Biblical miracles The ten plagues Reply To: The ten plagues

• Thomas Donlon

March 5, 2021 at 12:47 pm

Hi Deborah,

The collectors edition of Red Sea Miracle 1 in one of the extra disks has a fairly in-depth analysis presenting various scholars giving their natural viewpoints about the ten plagues.

Having just scanned some of the ten plagues, I find a back to back mention of disasters falling on Egyptian livestock. (Though sometimes in the Holy Bible when the word “all” is used I find indications that the word is used in a more general sense.) A co-worker at work has said to me, “You never listen to me.” And “You never believe me.” However it is just a way she talks.

So maybe “All” the Egyptian’s livestock in the field died, and overtime they took some from the Israelites or bought some more. But literally it could not have a full “all” if some remained. Then there was a plague caused by dust thrown in the air causing boils on animals and people. Then hail killed the livestock in the field. So looking naturalistically (assuming a full “all” died) the plagues could have been far apart allowing the Egyptians to get livestock again. Or was it just a manner of speaking and some animals were left.

But then after the hail storm there was a locust plague. That the scripture makes pains to note was in same growing cycle for the scripture says,

“(The flax and barley were destroyed, since the barley had headed and the flax was in bloom.
    The wheat and spelt, however, were not destroyed, because they ripen later.)”
    (Exod. 9:31-32 NIV)

Kind of makes me wonder why the author explained how some crops were still left from one plague to another, but didn’t explain how some animals, livestock were left from one plague to another. Though due to people’s attention span addressing just one problem makes it seem like both problems were addressed. So it probably works in story form, getting the point across. Movies also sometimes rely on something called “Suspension of disbelief.” Again though this doesn’t necessitate that something should be disbelieved, just that the writer needn’t have included all the details. Which means I’m left unclear about whether these plagues were back to back or whether substantial gaps between plagues took place. Longer gaps makes it easier and more natural for Pharaoh’s heart to harden.