Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt Origins of the Hebrews: New Evidence for Israelites in Egypt from Jos to the Exo Reply To: Origins of the Hebrews: New Evidence for Israelites in Egypt from Jos to the Exo

• Deborah Hurn

February 25, 2021 at 8:57 pm

this book should make it beyond dispute that Israelites inhabited the site of Avaris… The evidence simply is overwhelming and beyond compelling.

Doug, as you probably have experienced in the scholarly world, very little in Egyptian and biblical chronology is beyond dispute. There are always qualified people on both sides of any debate. As for “simply… overwhelming” and “beyond compelling”, it is wise to leave the evaluation to others or make it clear you are just speaking for yourself, i.e. “I find the evidence to be overwhelming and compelling”. The fact is, we usually do find our own [selection of] evidence to be compelling; that’s why we have come to conclusions! I have learned that the scholarly world does not respond well to those who pre-assess the strength of their own theories.

In regard to your thesis as summarised, there are chronologists who are neither tied to David Rohl’s timeline nor the standard chronology (involving a “late exodus”), and do not accept that the Israelites ever lived at Avaris but believe they had already left Egypt before Avaris was founded. This view would not falsify your claims of finding patriarchal names on record, but neither would it support them. Moreover, the earlier the civilisations in the Middle East (spanning the great centres of Egypt and Mesopotamia), the more was shared in terms of language, personal names, gods, culture, and technology.