Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums The route of the Exodus through the Red Sea How many days and how far per day to the sea? Reply To: How many days and how far per day to the sea?

• Thomas Donlon

February 17, 2021 at 7:09 pm

In the Collector’s Edition to Red Sea Crossing 1 Tim Mahoney relayed that in ten days Jacob, his flocks and children fled from Laban and covered 350 miles. What is that 50 kilometers a day? The Israelites though according to scripture had the advantage of “abundant rains” and a pillar of fire and protection so their feet would not swell. They also left in “haste” were “carried on eagles wings.” Also if you watch the first of Tim Mahoney’s films David Rohl is saying that the grave’s at Avaris (the city the Israelites fled from which was under the city of Ramses showed that when the Israelites became slaves they were dying at age 32 – 34. Also I understand (but I’m not about to look it up) that African Slaves in North America who were also treated brutally tended to die young.

I’ll have to see evidence from the grave reports at Avaris that this is NOT true before I believe there were a bunch of old people among the fleeing Israelites. Flock expert and should I say “Legend”(?), Temple Grandin who was in the film also was in extra material in the Collector’s Edition. She was quite confident that the flocks could walk anything that the people would walk.

A point brought up in the film by Temple Grandin and others is that you can have two different sets of criteria for optimum speed. Bedouin who are just grazing their sheep, trying to keep the animals in top shape, peak condition are going to focus on grazing. However if you need to drive them and aren’t concerned about them losing some weight, they can outwalk people.

The departure from Egypt was in the spring when there is more rain. Glenn Fritz chose a path that followed Wadis where water would have puddled.

Would the same be true for any traveling in Saudi Arabia? The granite rocks would have held water …

I have no desire to commit to a viewpoint on this when I haven’t heard the other viewpoint. “The first to present his case seems right…” When I ignore this principle I find I easily get caught in an error.