Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Location of Mount Sinai Timeframe, distances and campsites between the sea and the mountain Reply To: Timeframe, distances and campsites between the sea and the mountain

• Deborah Hurn

February 14, 2021 at 8:45 am

I don’t have Fritz’s books, Thomas. He is one of the eleven scholars on the HFS, so he can come on here if he wishes to discuss the exodus itinerary. I cannot imagine a scenario in which it is possible to explain how three days, three wildernesses, and six stations can lie along a route over a distance of only 57 km between the E coast of Aqaba and Jebel al-Lawz. Knowing what I do of how this works in the Sinai and Negev, I would need a lot more than arbitrary identifications (which is all I have seen so far from Fritz and other advocates for the Saudi Sinai candidates). The wildernesses must be distinct, the sites must be water-sources, the daily stages must be of an adequate length, the roads must be established ancient paths, and the location of the mount must also account for the ongoing journey to Kadesh starting with three days in the Wilderness of Paran, yet another wilderness to fit in the coastal strip along the Aqaba Gulf. Are such expectations too high, too literal? There are many scholars who think so. But if we are going to use biblical data to identify Mount Sinai, we have to use all the data and not pick and choose which details suit our preferred theory.