Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Against the Tide What do you think about the new film Against the Tide? Reply To: What do you think about the new film Against the Tide?

• Thomas Donlon

February 13, 2021 at 11:43 pm

1:25:52 into Against the Tide. Richard Dawkins doesn’t understand the love of God.

“I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge– that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
    Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
    (Eph. 3:16-21 NIV)

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (Jn. 13:34-35 NIV)

Richard Dawkins: “John Lennox believes that the creator of the universe, the God who devised the laws of mathematics couldn’t think of a better way to rid the world of sin, than to come to this little speck of cosmic dust and have himself tortured and executed so that he could forgive himself. That is profoundly unscientific.”

This is why the greatest commandments involve love — not practicing science. Science in some contexts can be a venue to promote love. But science without love can also lead to weapons of destruction capable of killing millions or rather billions of people. Science has its limitations and can just as easily be a source for great evil as for good. It is neutral. Was it Einstein (despite his flawed views of religion) who made a statement like “Religion without science is lame, science without religion is blind?” Let us be glad that what Jesus brought was something much more valuable than science.

Having said that, I see some flashes of great honesty in Richard Dawkins and I won’t at all be surprised if he ends up embracing Christianity at some point. We can hope and pray. We ought to pray.