Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Against the Tide What do you think about the new film Against the Tide? Reply To: What do you think about the new film Against the Tide?

• Thomas Donlon

February 13, 2021 at 10:29 pm

One hour ten minutes and forty seconds into Against The Tide. John Lennox casts attention on the question Jesus asked the disciples at Caesarea Philippi. “Who do men say that I am?” The backdrop was a Roman city filled with Roman and Greek temples. John Lennox here recognizes that understanding other viewpoints is helpful in the context of addressing them. Though I’m going to keep watching the film, my thoughts flicker over to Peter telling the Jews in Jerusalem “These men are not drunk as you suppose.” My thoughts also go over to Paul who addressed other cultures and Greeks bringing to their remembrance overlaps between the sayings of their prophets and teachers with the gospel and good news that he was bringing them. And John Lennox was gifted in being prepared to address other viewpoints by the guidance of his dad in his earlier years when he was young and developing his mind.

Not everyone is called to deeply engage with other viewpoints, Yet it is better to understand other viewpoints than just to mock other viewpoints with derisiveness. We are called to be ” Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.” (Eph. 4:15 NIV) Also the prior four verses and the four following verses add some helpful thoughts. They deal with God preparing other people to teach other people and also that we are to keep a clear mind that can serve God with understanding.

Back now to the movie.