Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Against the Tide What do you think about the new film Against the Tide? Reply To: What do you think about the new film Against the Tide?

• Thomas Donlon

February 13, 2021 at 8:31 pm

Against The Tide 17:50 (seventeen minutes, fifty seconds) Richard Dawkins: “Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not really understanding.”

The Bible:

“I run in the path of your commands, for you have broadened my understanding.Teach me, LORD, the way of your decrees, that I may follow it to the end. Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law and obey it with all my heart.” (Ps. 119:32-34 NIV)

“I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path.
    Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. (Ps. 119:104-105 NIV)

“The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.” (Ps. 119:130 NIV)

“My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding–indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. (Prov. 2:1-5 NIV)

“Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold. She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her; those who hold her fast will be blessed. By wisdom the LORD laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding he set the heavens in place; by his knowledge the watery depths were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew. My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight, preserve sound judgment and discretion; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble. When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. (Prov. 3:13-24 NIV)

“Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or turn away from them. Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you. The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Cherish her, and she will exalt you; embrace her, and she will honor you. She will give you a garland to grace your head and present you with a glorious crown.” (Prov. 4:5-9 NIV)

“The one who gets wisdom loves life; the one who cherishes understanding will soon prosper.” (Prov. 19:8 NIV)

“For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light.” (Col. 1:9-12 NIV)

“My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments.” (Col. 2:2-4 NIV)

“I pray that your partnership with us in the faith may be effective in deepening your understanding of every good thing we share for the sake of Christ.” (Phlm. 1:6 NIV)

“Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.” (Jas. 3:13 NIV)

“We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true by being in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. Dear children, keep yourselves from idols.” (1 Jn. 5:20-21 NIV)

I’m not a Greek scholar but I also noted that the scripture traditionally interpreted as to “love God with all your… mind” is in Mark 12 rephrased by a man talking to Jesus as including as “understanding.”

“The most important [commandment] ,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” “Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.” When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions. (Mk. 12:29-34 NIV)

Well, I’m just 17 minutes into the film. Thought I’d share that thought since I decided to research it being as I was just exposed to that Richard Dawkins quote. I’m sure not all those verses might be used by someone debating Richard Dawkins, but it appears that Richard Dawkins missed the importance that scripture places on understanding. Yet Christians should be prepared like John Lennox if they wish to start engaging atheists. The word of God gives incredible understanding and in the early verses of Proverbs it is explained that the Biblical book of Proverbs itself is a resource for those who want to develop the ability to think better. and even “give an answer.”

“Be wise, my son, and bring joy to my heart; then I can answer anyone who treats me with contempt.” (Prov. 27:11 NIV)