Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence for Biblical miracles Are miracles still happening today? Reply To: Are miracles still happening today?

• Francesco Gabellini

February 6, 2021 at 4:40 am

I really like the method Timothy uses in his films, that is to ask questions concerning a sequence of evidence to look for and then find the answers to the questions both in the Bible and in external sources.

So I will follow the same method as I try to find the answer to the question we asked ourselves in this discussion.

To get to the final answer we should ask ourselves another 4 further questions in sequence.

1) How often has God performed miracles throughout known human history?

2) Toward what kind of people has God performed miracles in the course of known human history?

3) What appears to be God’s goal in performing his miracles?

4) Can we know if God’s goal has been achieved?

So, now, I’ll try to answer one of these questions at a time in my next posts.

Let’s start with the first one.

1) How often has God performed miracles throughout known human history?

To have the sure answer to this question we must face a problem that is posed in the Bible regarding miracles or so-called “signs and wonders”.

Here are some scriptures from New International Version of the Bible (NIV)

2 Thessalonians 2:9-12 “9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.”

From this scripture we can understand that miracles are not only from God but can also be the work of God’s adversary, called Satan. We also understand that God has allowed Satan to perform these “signs and wonders” to bring out the difference between people who love truth and God’s righteousness and those who love wickedness.

Matthew 7:21-23 “21 Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!

By linking this last scripture with the previous one, we understand that Satan can use people to perform his miracles, people who even claim to be servants of God himself.

It is true that the scriptures mentioned here speak of events that would take place in the future compared to when they were written, but from the entire Bible we know that Satan has always acted fraudulently since the beginning of human history, so we can be sure that Satan has always tried to mislead people even in the past and he certainly did so with “signs and wonders”.

So if we want to be people who prove “to love the truth” we must be sure that certain so-called miracles really come from God and not from Satan and this is not an easy task.

Regarding a good part of the history of humanity (let’s say about 4,000 years) we have been helped by God through the Bible itself because in it we find described the miracles that have really been performed by God.

So now we can proceed with making a summary accounting of all the miracles recorded in the Bible. This calculation cannot be accurate because it depends on how we count miracles. For example, in the case of the Exodus we could count a single overall miraculous event or various single miracles, starting from the burning bush and reaching the conquest of the promised land.

Therefore, everyone can make his own personal account of the miracles narrated in the Bible. In any case, however, from a careful analysis of those events an important truth emerges which constitutes the answer to our first question.

The miracles performed by God in the course of about 4,000 years of human history have been relatively few and many of them have been concentrated in two specific periods of history, namely the period of the Exodus and the period of the coming of Christ.

Having found the answer to this first question, we can now move on to the second question, that is “Toward what kind of people has God performed miracles in the course of known human history?

In my next post I will try to answer this last question. In the meantime, I will be pleased to know what you think, all you Bible lovers, of what I wrote in this post.

Please be patient with me. I read in the “code of conduct” that we should write well and try to use proper spelling and grammar. I am trying to do my best but bear in mind that my native language is Italian.