Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Location of Mount Sinai The issue of the wilderness of Shur Reply To: The issue of the wilderness of Shur

• Deborah Hurn

February 3, 2021 at 7:36 pm

Here is the section on Shur from James Hoffmeier’s Israel in Egypt. I only have it in Kindle, which makes it easy to copy sections, but then there is no page no.

Hoffmeier, James K. Israel in Egypt: The Evidence for the Authenticity of the Exodus Tradition. New York, NY: Oxford University, 1996.

Exodus 15:22 calls the wilderness of 13:18, “Shur.” According to biblical sources, the Wilderness of Shur is located on the other side of yām sûp. (Exod. 15:22), “east of Egypt” (ISam. 15:7), and “Shur and on toward Egypt” (ISam. 27:8).115 The references from I Samuel are helpful because they refer to events taking place in the Negev and moving toward Egypt, squarely placing Shur or the Wilderness of Shur south of the coastal highway and north of central Sinai. In other words, Shur would be situated in Sinai, east of El Ballah Lake in the north and the Bitter Lakes to the south.116 The word Shur (šûr) means “wall,”117 and its use in the Hebrew Bible has been associated with the line of forts that defended Egypt’s frontier, thought to be the same as the “Walls of the Ruler” of “Sinuhe” and “Neferti” (Cf. chap. 3,§I).118 With the discovery of the Eastern Frontier Canal, Weissbrod and Sneh propose that Shur refers to the canal and its embankments, which could be included in the Walls of the Ruler.119 Others, however, maintain that Shur alludes to the beginning of the mountainous region east of Suez known as Jebel es-Sur or er-Rahah.120 [loc. 5570]