Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence for Biblical miracles The population of the Israelites during Exodus Reply To: The population of the Israelites during Exodus

• Deborah Hurn

January 21, 2021 at 4:01 am

I hope these excerpts of my OT project on the Population of the Exodus are informative and not annoying people. Just trying to sketch in the issues of each discussion topic. Engagement is welcome.

Peculiarities (cont.)

The ‘hundreds’ figures of the tribal totals are also related in magnitude to their corresponding ‘thousand’ figures. [I have a table but can’t post it here] In Numbers 1 (the first census), the ‘thousands’ to ‘hundreds’ ratio for each tribe lies between 1:5 and 1:14, and in Numbers 26 (the second census), the range is similar, between 1:5 and 1:17. There are no tribal totals such as 22,700 (i.e. low ‘thousands’ and high ‘hundreds’) which would give a ratio of 1:32, or conversely 74,200 which would give a ratio of 1:3. Although several tribal populations have (apparently) risen or fallen dramatically over forty years, the national averages of ‘thousands’ to ‘hundreds’ ratios remain close; about 1:9 in the first census, and about 1:10 in the second. Moreover, the ‘thousands’ figure for each tribal total in the first census ranges from 32 to 74 with an effective average of 50 (49.8), and in the second census, from 22 to 76, also with an effective average of 50 (49.7), and with precisely six tribes above the average and six tribes below.9 These outcomes are particularly unlikely and cause additional problems for certain reinterpretations of the figures.

9 These averages both exclude the tribal totals for Levi.