Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums The route of the Exodus through the Red Sea The detour to a dead end – the different options Reply To: The detour to a dead end – the different options

• Thomas Donlon

January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am

My personal “take-away” from having watched RSM I & 2 (I just yesterday digitally rented RSM 2) is a need for great humility. From Tim’s videos I think I’m seeing some three or more proposed Yam Suph crossing sites along the Egyptian border. And their are four proposed crossing sites in the film for the gulf of Aqaba. So Tim’s videos have a minimum of seven total proposed crossing sites and just rumors of archaeological evidence. And even for place names you might think are nailed down (such as Migdol) I recollect Tim putting up a clip showing that his different advocates for a Yam Suph crossing near Egypt have four proposed Migdol locations.

Furthermore the discussion of the location of Yam Suph seemed to have gotten a bit polarized. Some discussion seemed to insist strongly that it was The Red Sea and at least one or two people seemed to suggest that the Yam Suph was the gulf of Aqaba. One intellectual really pressed that all the clear indications or usages in scripture required Yam Suph to be the gulf of Aqaba. Yet perhaps he missed one.

And the LORD changed the wind to a very strong west wind, which caught up the locusts and carried them into the Red Sea. (Exod. 10:19 NIV)

(Perhaps all the locusts flew over the Red Sea to be deposited in the gulf of Aqaba, but I think the Professor overlooked that scripture, maybe because of its vagaries.) I know just enough Hebrew to know that the word in Exodus 10:19 is Yam Suph. Many of the scholars have the whole region of water (both the Red Sea and Gulf of Aqaba) as Yam Suph, and probably we need to accept that. It is natural that the Bible with its focus on Israelite lands is going to more frequently mention the part of this body of water that forms their southernmost boundary point.

Possibly nothing in this particular comment I’m posting is likely to be new to you, Deborah. So, I’m not trying to create an impression that I’m arguing about anything.