Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums The route of the Exodus through the Red Sea The detour to a dead end – the different options Reply To: The detour to a dead end – the different options

• Frederick W. Baltz

January 15, 2021 at 10:13 am

In Exodus 3:3 Moses says to himself that he will “turn aside” to see this great sight, the burning bush. The verb is sur. It is my belief that Israel had reached Etham, which I think was past the northern end of the Gulf of Aqaba, as shown by Humphreys. Even today the Arabs call it Yuttum. This was at the far edge of the wilderness. When Israel turned back (shuv) by the way they had come, it appeared to Pharaoh that they could go no farther from Egypt. The wilderness now held them prisoner. Turning back from Etham would have taken them on the path they used when they came to Etham, around the northern end of Aqaba, and the sites which I think are Migdol, Baal-Zephon, and Pi-Hahiroth are all right there. They have been overlooked, because today the water that once stood in the Timna Valley has dissipated. There is strong evidence that this area was actually humid 3500 years ago. Moving from these sites to the water takes you to the end of an eroded-but-measurable higher elevation that crosses the valley to the east. It is mapped with satellite technology in my book, Exodus Found. The identification of these three sites, which are very close to each other, thus leads to identifying the place of crossing. I believe shuv is important in all this, as is the location of Etham. A crossing at Nuweiba would require the verb sur, not shuv.