Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence for Biblical miracles The population of the Israelites during Exodus Reply To: The population of the Israelites during Exodus

• Thomas Donlon

January 15, 2021 at 4:07 am

These statements argue for a lot of people, a lot of people.

NIV Numbers 22:1 Then the Israelites traveled to the plains of Moab and camped along the Jordan across from Jericho. 2 Now Balak son of Zippor saw all that Israel had done to the Amorites, 3 and Moab was terrified because there were so many people. Indeed, Moab was filled with dread because of the Israelites. 4 The Moabites said to the elders of Midian, “This horde is going to lick up everything around us, as an ox licks up the grass of the field.” So Balak son of Zippor, who was king of Moab at that time, 5 sent messengers to summon Balaam son of Beor, who was at Pethor, near the Euphrates River, in his native land. Balak said: “A people has come out of Egypt; they cover the face of the land and have settled next to me. (Num. 22:1-5 NIV)

And Balaam when called upon to curse Israel included this observation:

10 Who can count the dust of Jacob or number even a fourth of Israel? (Num. 23:10 NIV)

In the extra features that were in the collectors edition of Red Sea Crossing I saw some Psalm. I think it was this one. It seems to support God’s supernatural provision during the journey.

7 When you, God, went out before your people, when you marched through the wilderness,
    8 the earth shook, the heavens poured down rain, before God, the One of Sinai, before God, the God of Israel.
    9 You gave abundant showers, O God; you refreshed your weary inheritance.
    10 Your people settled in it, and from your bounty, God, you provided for the poor. (Ps. 68:7-10 NIV) And also other scriptures even talk about God being a cloud before them which would have been helpful in the wilderness.

Now how organized was the Exodus? I’m reminded that when they ate the Passover they were to do so ready to instantly travel. Someone had to think about this and cover the necessary steps to allow a quick organized departure.

“This is how you are to eat it: with your cloak tucked into your belt, your sandals on your feet and your staff in your hand. Eat it in haste; it is the LORD’s Passover.” (Exod. 12:11 NIV)

And when they finally left Exodus 13:18 draws comparison to them leaving like an army. Organized. It is not that I studied all this myself. I just remember what was in the Collectors Edition. The scripture about how the Israelites were to eat in haste… may not have been in that video. And the scripture about Balaam and Balak, that one I remembered but I don’t think it was covered in the film. I ought to get some sleep soon.