Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence for Biblical miracles Naturalistic vs. spectacular supernatural Reply To: Naturalistic vs. spectacular supernatural

• Thomas Donlon

January 11, 2021 at 1:05 pm

James, I’m trying to think about how to best respond to you. How to best help you. Is is perhaps “odd” in one sense how Deborah talks so much and on different discussions. However consider that she has spent years studying such issues. A person who likes and has played a major sport will continue to follow that sport and have passionate ideas about it. Some people are video game addicts. Some people are learning addicts.

Also consider what was written in a letter in the New Testament. We all stumble in many ways. So whether Deborah, you, or I even film producers we all have some faults. Some faults as the apostle Paul says are obvious and some are only revealed later. In Galatians (near the end of that letter) Paul wrote that you (or was it “we?” who are spiritual should try and restore others. (Galatians 6:) I think he added to do so with gentleness. And someone else taught that not many of us should become teachers because we will be judged more strictly. And Paul taught in his letter to Timothy not to rebuke others “harshly” but rather to speak others as one would a brother, sister, father or mother.

Whatever you thought you were trying to help Deborah understand it kind of got swamped by things like how you said it, and your own internal frustrations got in the way of presenting your case or your argument cogently. But whatever you were trying to write isn’t as important as the frustrations and internal burden that you are carrying.

Deborah may and probably does have some “speck” in her eye, as we all have different issues, different strengths and weaknesses etc. What she is doing here is good in sharing scholarly thoughts. Consider though what level of problem behavior needs to be addressed and what level of behavior we should “let slide.” Trying to control people too much without really understanding what is going on leads to “micro-management.” And that is annoying when one has a boss like that.

It isn’t wrong to be busy and to go here and there. In the Spanish American war the man who would later be known as General Grant was popping up everywhere doing things. Other times in wars some famous nurse might be busy here and there. So being busy and diligent isn’t always a sign of mental illness. Sometimes it is a sign of greatness. And the Apostle Paul urged people to be diligent and “work with their hands.”

Let’s see if we can help you with your nightmares. And your biographical line that you posted on this website has you speaking about years of abrasion from this world. You can withdraw from such behavior. Jesus warned that he was sending us out as sheep among wolves. So he urged us to be as wise as serpents and harmless as doves. We overlook the advice to be “harmless as doves” sometimes. And Paul said something like “If you continue to bite and devour each other watch out lest you be bitten and devoured by each other.” (I didn’t precisely nail that quote, but you should be able to get the point.)

So be gentle, be kind. Consider some things that bring peace. Certain scriptures ask or suggest that whoever would love life and see good days should … and I forget how it continued. But it was likely something … let me look it up.

10 For, “Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech.
    11 They must turn from evil and do good; they must seek peace and pursue it.
    12 For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”
    13 Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good?
    14 But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened.”
    15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,
    16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    17 For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. (1 Pet. 3:10-17 NIV)

Pay special attention there to verse 15 which mentions “gentleness and respect.” I hope you can find peace. Some battles are yours to fight. Other battles are the Lord’s. Other battles and problems God has designated to be solved by elected officials, who serve some role. Other times we need to overcome evil with good. One of Paul’s favorite techniques was that he was insulted to return respectful comments instead. See if you can become the kindest person making discussion comments — if you desire to keep participating learn to do the following. Before you post anything maybe read it several times and make sure it both is clear and is kind. Christians should be known by their love. He who blesses others will himself be blessed. A righteous man ponders his words.