Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Evidence for Biblical miracles Naturalistic vs. spectacular supernatural Reply To: Naturalistic vs. spectacular supernatural

• Thomas Donlon

January 10, 2021 at 5:50 am

I wrote above, “It is a little cute little story” but I’d like to clarify that I wasn’t saying it didn’t happen. I’m more inclined to believe it (But still I think it is a “cute” story) or a cute incident. Rather the fact a miracle like this would have occurred, and this type of thing is NOT frequent in the Bible, does (in my mind) attest to the importance of this whole battle in human history but most importantly as a key incident in God setting the stage for his working out of great things. I think one of the scholars in the film on the crossing of the sea part one, pointed out that God wasn’t merely planning to get the Israelites out, he really wanted to make a statement about his great power. That bit of logic can be used to support a more spectacular crossing.

I’m not an expert on the crossing, so I don’t feel qualified to offer an opinion at this time. I haven’t even looked at all the scriptures to see their contexts. A celebratory song could be one way to look at it. Other scriptures talk about a wall of water that have a different context? I’m not sure on all that. Haven’t even looked up that word “wall” yet. And do I care right at the moment? Not really. I’ve spent a long time at the computer and I’ve likely neglected a number of household tasks. Failing drastically to fulfill family responsibilities is quite warned against in scripture. And I’ve got a lot of failings in that area. But whatever. I might look all this up another time. I feel like I’ve got to moderate or curtail all this writing I’m doing. Yet on the other hand I’m good at it and these discussion forums could use another knowledgeable (or less knowledgeable) voice than yours. You’ve carried a significant amount of the energy in creating discussion.